View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I looked around a bit tonight and found all three of Greg's VET pennants (Reds, Pirates, Braves) on ebay wihtout the VET label. The Pirates pennant also exists with the ASCO symbol, and an almost identical Reds version with 1975 champs added also exists with the ASCO symbol.

I also came across this Braves pennant with a different label. Almost looks like an AB (for Atlanta Braves?)
Never seen this mark before.... "PB," perhaps? Could be "AB" as well....

As with "VET" and previous mystery marks we've debated, I feel pretty good this Atlanta Braves pennant was made by Trench. The two fonts used for the city and team match those used by Trench for many, many years. Same with the artwork, which I recall first seeing on some late 1950s pennants of theirs. And, by 1969 or so, MLB pennants were pretty much limited to Trench, ASCO, Keezer and WGN--with these last two being unlicensed, as best I can tell.

If so, that suggests this mark is likely a concessionaire's mark. Perhaps some new company running merch out of Fulton County Stadium?

Many of these suspected concessionaire's marks, I've noticed, consisted solely of initials, e.g., "ARA" (Aramark); "VET" (???); "WC" (??); "SS" (Sportservice); and "ABC" (ABC Vending Co.). Now "PB" / "AB." Doesn't give you much to research, does it? The only exceptions that come to mind were "Charles Shear" and "Canteen Corp." These concessioners, unlike the others, didn't hide their identities behind some vague initials.