View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE...... the "poor man's" T206 Joe Doyle "Nat'L" card

* * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In 2007, I posted a thread on this "printer's mark" on the T206 Joe Doyle N.Y. card. I like to refer to this version of the Joe Doyle card as the "poor-man's"
substitute for the Joe Doyle Nat'L card

Regarding the Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L card, to date there are 9 (or 10) confirmed. The first one was actually in Senator Richard Russell's T-card collection
from his youth. However, it was unknown until his collection was placed on display at the Univ. of Georgia. The 2nd one was discovered by Larry Fritsch in
the early 1980's. The 3rd one was discovered by Bill Huggins in the mid-1980's. The rest is history.

In the scans here, seen in the middle Joe Doyle card is a printer's mark just to the right of the dot following the "Y". However minor this mark may appear,
it exactly lines up with the start of the "N" in the very scarce "Nat'L" variation. And it very slightly drops below the line of the Doyle, N.Y. lettering, as does
the leading serif of the letter "N" in the word "Nat'L" in the actual variation.

Since 2007, I've run a Survey measuring the availability of Joe Doyle cards with this printer's mark. The results (shown below) indicate that on the average
of 1 out of 16 cards have this mark.

So guys, how about a Show-n-Tell of your T206 Joe Doyle cards. Let's continue this Survey by posting a few more "printer's mark" Joe Doyle cards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -^ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Printer's Mark - - - -^ (remnant of "N" in Nat'L)

Here's the results of my 12-year survey on this Joe Doyle "printer's mark". Last UPDATE in late 2019 (351 unique samples)

T-brand.............Mark.....No-Mark

Piedmont 350........10..........136

Sweet Cap 350.......7...........134

Polar Bear..............4............29

Old Mill..................1.............7

Sovereign 350.........0...........15

Tolstoi....................0.............6

EPDG.....................0.............2

Totals.................. 22 ........ 329

22 - Joe Doyle cards with this printer's mark = 22/351 = 6.3 %

Thanks for your interest, and let's hear your responses.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-18-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.