View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Short answer -yes.

Longer answer - when I ws actively selling I sold lots of stuff, some I knew a bit about, some I didn't. I also sold in other venues and once I listed something it was physically separated from the non-ebay inventory until the auction closed. The brick and mortar dealer I go to does the same thing, Ebay stuff isn't even in the case. Usually the Ebay stuff is stuff that won't sell well in the shop. A shop that's since closed that did general antiques with some sports stuff used to have a case set aside for Ebay items. All with the item number shown and a laptop setup and running on the counter.

Having been in the car business, I can say that it's often "different" than other businesses. Not necessarily the industry I'd hold out as a moral example, although that's possible when it's done right. I lost sales to shipping damage, factory test drive program, and finally a stock market downturn. (Bonus points if you know the brand and year -it's possible from the last two combined, but you have to really know some trivia)

Steve B

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yes, it is a baseball card forum. Thanks for reminding me. So, in other words, it's "unethical" to end a baseball card auction early, but not items from other eBay categories?

And do your morals only apply to pre-war cards since this is a pre-war forum?

Edited to add: Since you pointed out that this is a baseball card forum, let me revise my example to make it baseball card related. Let's say a baseball card dealer owns a brick and mortar store. Like other brick and mortar dealers, he probably relies on other ways to generate revenue other than only retail sales - i.e. mail order, card shows, eBay, etc. Do you think that if that dealer lists a card on eBay, he removes it from his display case during the auction? Or do you think that card remains in the case availbale for sale for walk-traffic? I'm guessing probably the latter. So, if the card is on eBay and a customer in his store with cash in hand wants to buy it at his asking price, should he decline the sale?