View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 01:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
I'm a little baffled as to who made these mystery Candlestick pennants. I have a few theories, but nothing I feel too strongly about at this time. Could have been Trench, based on the use of the "moon-lit batter" image on Rob's '62 pennant. Or, it's possible some other maker copied Trench's figure and inserted him on their Candlestick artwork.

One thing that stands out to me is the way the artist drew and painted the crowd. It almost looks like he/she used watercolors because the brush strokes appear very broad.

There's a Dodger pennant from ca. 1959 that seems to resemble these Candlestick ones in artwork, layout, etc. Note that the crowd is painted the same way: one color per seating section.

I'd love to know who made these!
That is indeed a great question, and the Dodgers + Giants Pennants posted above appear to be made by the same mysterious company. I do know the following...

The Dodgers Pennant depicts the Coliseum. So it was made within the 1958 - 1961 range.

The Giants Pennant (with Cable Car towards the tip) was one that my Dad brought home to us in 1965. So the company responsible for both pennants was definitely producing these between 1961 - 65.

The paint on these pennants is different than Trench or AdFlag used. By nature, it is a thinner/cheaper/less durable looking paint. I think their process for applying the paint was different as well. And this "mystery company" seems to have used cloth exclusively, instead of the thicker classic felt material.

Attached is another Giants Pennant that my Dad brought home from the same game in 1965... he purchased it along with the Cable Car Pennant. This was the first pennant I ever owned, so I suppose the addiction started there. I wish I knew if he got it inside the stadium or from an outside vendor (I suspect the latter).

I've always though it was sort of a one-off, but it's easily possible that the same odd manufacturer produced this one as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants 3.jpg (75.7 KB, 260 views)