View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Default E91 article

Thanks for all the input so far on my E91 article. Thanks Frank and Ted for the encouraging words, as well as Michael and Jeff for the comparision card scans. I think you can see with Michael's Harry Davis M116 as well as the Brown and Donlin that Jeff posted, the E91's are an exact match. I like how the E91 artists even duplicated the swath of hair coming beneath the cap on Brown. As far as the McGraw, if I remember correctly the Fan Craze is a perhaps more 'smiling' depiction of McGraw, and would perhaps show off the similiarities between the two better.

To answer some of Ted's questions, I believe that Burdick just didn't catch the fact that the E91A was issued in 1908, and stuck with it throughout the years. As far as the Walter Johnson as southpaw is concerned, the Johnson card is really the image of Waddell, as is seen in the E91A set. And finally the Tinker/Wagner cards are really images of Tinker...maybe someone can post the comparision cards I listed so as to show off the facial likenesses.

Keep the posts and comparision scans coming...I think it will be a nice revelation to all.

Brian