View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 02:54 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I forget the specifics, but my understanding on the sales tax decision was that a court case came down which put the handwriting for that on the wall. I'm not sure if eBay was compelled to put that in place by a certain date or if it was just obvious that they would soon be challenged if they didn't. I will agree between issues like this, and changes to policy such as surrounding authentication - it would seem more difficult to business on eBay than ever before.

When I first joined eBay, you could see full info. on both sellers and buyers, and even message competing bidders. I once contacted a bidder who kept topping me saying "Hey could I persuade you to let me win this (vintage scouting photo...) because my father-in-law is in it, and I would like to give it to him as a gift." The guy wrote back and graciously agreed. Can you imagine anything like that happening today?
John,

Ebay has definitely changed over the years, as you noted. They don't want anyone talking and sharing info so they potentially can have them go and deal off Ebay. They are just as strict and concerned with keeping their business with these other moves they are making as well. That seems pretty clear. I've worked with so many different businesses and business owners over the years, nothing surprises me as to the extent and levels many businesses will go for to see their goals achieved. Ebay does not have a monopoly on being an online sales platform, and they know it. Yet, they are the biggest and most well known platform out there, and stay there by being pre-emptive and taking care of things before they become a potential problem. This is all part of them staying #1.