View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 07:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFromCANADA View Post
Attachment 262670

I collected cards before I 'picked up' the Shayne Corson rookie card in 1989, but I must say, this is the card that started my obsession with card collecting.
Shayne played junior hockey in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario and was then drafted to my favorite hockey team, the Montreal Canadiens in 1984. For a seven year old kid, it felt like someone I knew made it to the NHL. Almost 30 years later, I still pick up his cards when they come up. (Variations and such)

This is most likely the reason I collect George Gibson. Gibson was born and lived just a few cities over from Hamilton, and I'm sure subconsciously, when I realized the proximity of where Gibby was from, I wanted to collect his cards to get to know him. Now I do...Ha!

Thank you Shayne Corson.
My most vivid memories are collecting the little stamps that went into this book. (I still have it but punched 3 binder holes in it as a kid. )
I remember constantly bugging my Father if he needed gas. He would oblige when he could, but I know he regretted ever getting me started on this set.

I also remember collecting, flipping a variety of different cards from various years in my youth, but distinctly remember these.
I just purchased this Howe tonight.

(a few of the other OPC cards I still own)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHL Action stamps.jpg (11.7 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 69-70 Gordie Howe.jpg (74.3 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Hockey1.jpg (70.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Hockey2.jpg (72.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg hockey.jpg (71.2 KB, 239 views)