View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Never really understood the argument . . . .

Cut by a machine as intended: good

Cut by a kid 100 years ago as intended: probably ok

Cut by a guy today with a pair scissors as intended: evil, terrible, awful

I know this is a classic debate, rehashed many, many, many times. Too many threads to mention. And I still don't get it. Cards doctored to death, but cutting a strip card along a dotted line is somehow disqualifying.
of a grade to many eyes.
The cut is part of a card and its manufacture. If the card was cut recently it's not entirely vintage.

I made the same argument about modern card cut from sheets on the CU board (and most agreed with me). The cutting is an integral and necessary part of the single card's manufacture/production, so if the sheet is cut recently the cards are in part recent productions. If you want to label them "Vintage cards recently cut from sheets" that is an accurate description, and collectors can treat them as they wish. If a grader holders recently sheet cut (but not disclosed as recently sheet cut) vintage cards, that is problematic and deceptive. As one particular major grader did (still does?) this, this wasn't a theoretical question.

Also-- and whether for good or ill, I'm not here to debate--, condition is an integral part of a card's value, and it's very easy to get better condition if you're cutting the card recently. At the least, the modern cutting should be (and would be) considered when valuating the grade, because, obviously, it's harder to find mint edges and corners on a 1910 cut card rather than one cut last Tuesday. I won't debate or address here whether a recently cut strip card is good or bad, but that it was cut recently should be disclosed because it influences financial value.

My longtime argument is that if a seller is omitting information because he feels it will lower the sell price, that is information that should be disclosed.

Last edited by drcy; 05-31-2018 at 02:22 AM.