View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Default Autograph Signers- Best and Worst

Posted By: Mark

For those who collect autographs in person, who do you consider to be the best/most gracious signer, and who is the rudest or least accomodating?

I have heard some pretty good stories, but let's try to stick to personal first-hand experiences (and not word of mouth or heresay...)

I'll start out with a recent one. I was staying at the St. Francis in S.F. this year, during the All Star Game. The players all happened to be staying there as well. I saw probably a dozen immediately recognizable All Stars, and nearly all breezed past the group of people waiting for autographs (mostly kids).

The ONLY guy to stop was Chase Utley, who was incredibly personable, accomodated lots of requests, and gave lots of individual attention. I really respected him after that. David Ortiz made brief eye contact and told a few jokes, but didn't sign anything. All others completely refused to acknowledge these kids.

Some other memorable and very positive encounters were with Tony Perez and Tony Gwynn (both at store signings). Any other stories or interesting encounters (either positive or negative) are welcomed!