View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default Problem with John Ward Four Base Hits

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I agree with Preece--this is troublesome. The card is very high profile, and the auctioneer has made it one of the centerpieces of its auction. Presumably, then, it has studied the card, and has made at least some inquiry to its provenance. So......

1. How do you not know this card was sold in one of your competitor's auctions from only a year ago, in trimmed, one-piece, unrestored form?

2. Once informed that is restored (by the consignor and/or through your own research), how do you not look into whether it's the same card recently auctioned, at which point you can see there is another piece added? How do you not ask specific questions as to what exactly was done in restoration?

3. How do you write that it "appears as if the restoration was done in an attempt to strengthen the bottom portion of the card to the rest of the card, due to a heavy crease or small tear"? HEAVY CREASE OR SMALL TEAR? That baby had a whole new room addition, not wallpaper replacement.

4. I further agree with Preece that anyone with that card in hand would spot the extent of the restoration right away. I disagree with Zach somewhat that it's a great restore job--I think the restoration is a little hard to tell from a scan, but you can readily see the surgery below the player name once you know that it's been pieced together. Let's see a back scan, I would bet that the additional piece is even more apparent from that side.

In sum, I for one just do not believe that the auctioneer did not know. A five figure card of which a handful of examples or less exist, and you're in the business of selling high dollar material, and of following your competitors, if not on every lot, at least the showpiece items--how can you state that you didn't know the true facts and that the card was only restored to strengthen a crease or small tear? Sorry, the description was at best disingenuous, maybe worse. I hope those who have bid thus far have reason to re-examine the lot description, although in my view it is possible they will not, at least not unless they are apprised there has been a change.