View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 01:30 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hi Bob,

Not sure what the value is of Genamint but they have acquired multiple businesses like WATA and Golding Auctions to name two, that would add to gross revenue. Genamint, if it is being used, simply assists in speeding up daily operations, which presumably saves payroll and would increase net income and gross income. There is some value to having Genamint but not sure what that would be or how you would determine that.

They did raise fees and while people are still submitting I just do not think that would amount to THAT much of an increase in the value of the company. Subs had to be down once they suspended lower tier services. Turning 8 million of the 13 million of the backlog which existed at the time of acquisition into revenue certainly helps but that presumably was built into the valuation at the time CU was acquired.

From my vantage point (you would know much more about this than I would) and with of course much less financial disclosure as a private co it is hard to swallow the company is really worth 5x what it was.

Could you envision them taking the co public again today and getting a 4 bil valuation? I just don't see that they have done enough to justify that value. I am sure I am wrong though.
Hey Chase,

Yes, since the company has gone private, their financial info isn't out there for all to see anymore, so I am doing a bit of guessing. And I forget about some of those other small company acquisitions as well. And again, we don't know if they are even including them as part of this valuation, or keeping them separate.

Still, I think the major part of that valuation jump is due to their revenue increasing. You mention the backlog they have, but we don't know exactly when they are actually recognizing the revenue from it for accounting purposes. With the huge delay now in turnaround times, I suspect they may not be so quick to record their fee income as soon as they log in cards to grade, or at least they may not want to. If they record the income from cards they received, but then don't actually do any work on them till almost a year later in some cases, you may have recognized taxable revenue in one tax period, but then any tax deductible expenses related to the work they'll eventually be doing on those backlogged cards maybe isn't getting incurred and expensed until a later tax period. They never operated with such a backlog before, and most companies, especially publicly traded ones, generally like to recognize income ASAP. And assuming that is the case, companies aren't supposed to be able to just suddenly change their income recognition criteria, especially in regard to income taxes, because something like the pandemic came along. The IRS likes, and generally insists upon, consistency. So, they may be stuck recognizing revenue they can't now fully deduct all the expenses against that they'll end up eventually incurring to finish grading them right now. Hopefully this makes sense to everyone.

And as for taking this company public again, hell yeah I can see them doing it, or at least selling it off to someone else at some point. And I suspect it was probably part of their plan and intentions from the start. Regardless of how much they like cards, these new owners are businessmen and investors first!

The one thing I'll bet they may not have planned on is CSG entering the card grading business. Trust me, PSA is well aware of them, and likely more concerned about them than you might ever imagine. Though nowhere near as drastic as the resulting impact, CSG could eventually throw a monkey wrench into PSA/Collector's plans, along the lines of what Fanatics did to Topps IPO dreams. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future.