View Single Post
Old 01-29-2002, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Default What's the story here?

Posted By: Jay Miller

As some have already noted, the minis are only of Brooklyn players in their outdoor poses. For every mini there is a normal card with the same outdoor pose. I believe a mini exists for every Brooklyn player with an 1887 card but I am not positive. My guess is that the minis were produced through some sort of error which was corrected with the normal outdoor pose cards. Can these be considered a subset---anything that you want to be consider a subset can be one...Washington players with a bat in their hands is a subset too. As for value, these cards have sold for about $1000 apiece in sound condition. The one on ebay has some condition problems (although it has a nice photo) so I would expect it would go for less.

While people are talking about subsets, one of the most interesting subsets in the Old Judge set is the 1889 script series. Many of you are familiar with the 1887 script series that told us John Smith was Phenominal and that Mike Kelly was sold for $10,000. However, there is a group of about 15 1889 cards which do not have names printed on the card. The only place the name shows up is in the picture where it was scratched into the negative like was done for N173s. These cards are scarce, underappreciated and interesting. I believe one, Werrick, is being offered on ebay now.