Thread: DiMaggio ball
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Dan DeKing

Default DiMaggio ball

Hello everyone.
My name is Dan and on July 3rd of this year I lost my house in the country to fire. We lost our possessions and 14 cats in the fire. We ran a feral cat rescue with which we would trap, spay or neuter, tame and find homes for the cats. It all came from our own pockets. We trapped and tamed over 300 cats in our 18 years out there.
Within the lost possessions was my sportscard and memorabilia collection started in 1965. I lost well over 700,000 cards and autographs along with game used bats and jerseys.
Now, my reason for posting... I had an official American League ball signed by the DiMaggio brothers. THAT was my prized possession. I met Joe in Minneapolis, MN in 1985 and he was nice enough to sign the ball for me. I obtained Dom and Vince through the mail. I sent the ball to Vince last in 1986 and two weeks after sending it off, he passed away. I thought I would never see the ball again. Then, 2 days after he passed, the ball showed up in the mail, SIGNED! It was one of his last autograph requests I'm sure.
I am wondering if anyone out there might know of a similar ball for sale. I have contacted over a dozen of the nation's largest auction houses with no luck. If anyone can help me out, I would be forever grateful.
Thanks for your input in advance!

Dan (rjax)