View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Well, that's kinda the weird thing. See, legally speaking, I'm not sure that JR ever got the full rights to sell his reproductions. I'm sure everything was worked out with the Sporting News, so with the IP of Charles Conlon's images, he was probably fine. However, he would run into the same issues that I do with selling reproductions: he'd probably have to pay whomever represents some of the estates of those bigger players. CMG is under contract with plenty of them, like Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Bob Feller, Christy Mathewson, Burleigh Grimes, Dizzy Dean, Eddie Collins and a bunch more.

Now, I could be completely wrong in this - and if I am, I apologize to whomever would call me out on it - but I don't think JR approached CMG when he had up that Conlon site from which he was selling his prints. Had CMG (or somebody) known about it, his company could have received a nasty cease and desist pretty fast.

Let's also not forget that Roger's archive probably should have been under some sort of licensing contract with MLB because of the teams depicted in those negatives.

And again, I could be wrong on all of this, as I never bought any of those official prints from them, but I don't think arrangements like that were made. Whomever wins, though they could do exactly what Rogers did with trying to cash in on those prints, they're probably still doing so at a big risk. That is, unless there's some language in the contracts that indemnify them from any wrong doing...which could also be the case.

Just some food for thought.