View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Default How do you Upgrade?

Posted By: James Gallo

--Do you wait until you have a complete set before you'll buy a better conditioned card?

No then I would never buy any cards. I still haven't completed any pre-war sets but am just 2 cards away from the 1915 CJ.

--Do you buy a better conditioned card if the opportunity pops up, even if you're not done with the complete set?

Yes if I have the cash

--How many "grades" higher does a card need to be for you to consider upgrading it?

It depends on the value of the card. With the CJ set I want to upgrade any commons at least 2 grades generally, however with certain HOF or more expensive cards I will take what I can get.

--Will you sell the card to be replaced before you upgrade it? or will you part with more cash first and then sell the uglier example?

No I will hold onto the down grade until I have the upgrade in hand and have looked it over. I currently have an upgrade but it is in a PSA holder so I won't sell the lesser until it is in an SGC holder.

--Do you generally look to upgrade all your sets, or are there some complete sets you just want complete, and don't care about condition? (assuming there is enough of a population of cards out there)

I am working on 4 sets.
1914 Cracker Jack- I take whatever I can get but don't cactivaly chase it.
1915 Cracker Jack- Only need three cards to finish it and am upgraing in the process.
1916 Boston Store- I will take whatever I can get/find/afford.
T203 Baseball comics- I will take what I can get/find.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.