View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 AM

Default November pickups

OK, so I'm a day early- sorry! Who has time tonight when I'm going to be busier than a one armed paper hanger passing out Halloween candy?

I don't yet have these in hand, but I just picked up 3 original snapshots of Jim Tobin's 2-0 no-hitter over the Brooklyn Dodgers at Braves Field on April 27, 1944.

Three things make this game rather intriguing:

1) There were only 1,934 patrons in attendance on this raw April day in WWII era Boston. This ranks as the second lowest attended no-hit game in the modern era. Fortunately, one of the fans, Bill Scott, took the time to capture photos of the starting pitcher, Jim Tobin and his battery mate Phil Masi warming up along the sideline prior to the contest. The best photo shows a panoramic shot of the Braves team celebrating at home plate at the conclusion of the game. Look at the scant few patrons in the stands! This photo really does a great job of showing you how dreary the day actually was...

2) Jim Tobin became only the 2nd pitcher to ever homer in his own no-hit game.

3) These snapshots make great complimentary pieces to the only known surviving ticket stub to Tobin's gem that I own in my no-hit ticket collection. I never thought I would find any game photos to this game, but you just never know!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-31-2011 at 06:23 AM.