View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Is the Grading System Broken?

Posted By: barrysloate

After I read through the recent thread of SGC vs. PSA, a lot of not so pleasant information began to filter through. We have had numerous discussions about the grading services and many of the inherent problems have been brought to light.

While all of these issues would be too numerous to recount, we've had discussions about altered cards finding their way into holders; about the inconsistencies between one service and another; about the inconsistencies within each service that allows cards to be resubmitted until they are eventually bumped a grade; stories are now circulating about owners of grading companies also engaging in selling cards (clear conflict of interest); about large dealers influencing graders and getting friendly bumps; and many others that I can't think of at the moment.

So is it time for a major overhaul of the whole process? Any institution that has been around a long time tends to crack a little around the foundation, especially those that wield so much power. I feel that if all these problems continue unchecked, the whole system may eventually collapse.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I for one would love to see the grading services do a job as close to perfection as possible, but it doesn't seem like that's where things are headed.