View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Default Incorrect Dates attributed to Vintage Sets

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Jay B

Boy, are you absolutely right....."Getting changes made isn't a simple process".

Botton of the Ninth notes the 1949 Leaf set.....and for years I tried to get Jim Beckett
to correctly identify this set as a 1949 issue. And, somewhere along 1997, the Beckett
Price Guide did indeed drop the "hyphenated" date (1948-49) and designated it 1949
(and I'm sure Rich Klein can be credited for this change).

I think the following year the SCD Guide also designated this set as a 1949 issue. But,
all this was short-lived as PSA, SGC, and others in the Grading Industry (for unknown
reasons) reverted back to labelling these cards as "1948". So, now this "myth" will be
perpetuated for years to come. And, Rookie or 1st Card collectors will be confused
and incorrectly acquiring cards of players that do not really reflect their collections.

And, this not only applies to this Leaf set; but, all the aforementioned card sets that
have "wrong" dates. This is just another criticism of mine regarding the Grading card
service. It is unbelievable how we have allowed PSA, SGC, etc. change dates, that
for the most part, have been established for decades......and now are totally erroneous ?