View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Default Can the little guys ever win in Mastro?

Posted By: Scott M

I find this number hard to believe. I do agree that there are people that are unable to care for themselves. This is the reason that charities exist, and I believe that Americans contribute more to charity (both in $'s and %) than any other nationality in the world.

I might note that there would be less hungry people if the government hadn't made a concerted effort to stop many religious organizations from feeding the hungry - the reason? They didn't have the needed permits/health inspections. Much better to hire bureaucrats that don't care nearly as much.

I'm not a right winger, rather a common senser. It makes sense that those that make the most should pay more taxes than those that earn less. But it makes no sense to tell a person that they work Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday for others and the rest of the week for their family.

The one tax I actually don't have a problem with is the estate tax, though it should be on some type of sliding scale. But lets face it - the really rich don't pay much in taxes on matter what the tax. The answer is to get rid of all the deductions except the mortgage on one house and the health (greater than 7.5%). Change the capital gains to 10% for everything owned for more than three years. Lower the upper rates for income and then thats it. Oh yeah, we'd need to fire about 80% of the IRS, that would be too bad.

This is a lot better than reading stuff about grading card services.

Regards