View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
This is another rant about the lack of common sense by some sellers on ebay. Today's rant has to do with packing and shipping an item.

I bought a card on ebay earlier this week. A 1941 Goudey Bob Muncrief that I won for $11.53. Shipping was $5 which is far too high but I've gotten used to sellers who try to gouge buyers on shipping and factored this into my bid. Total for the delivered card was $16.53 which I was comfortable with.

Last night I got one of those little slips in my mailbox telling me I needed to stop by the post office and sign for a package. This was a bit baffling since I didn't remember buying anything which should have required a signature. I picked up my card this morning and this genius had purchased delivery confirmation, insurance and required an adult signature on my $11.53 purchase. Total shipping charge on the label is $7.65. He actually lost money on the $5 shipping fee he charged me.

Seriously? Insurance, DC AND Adult Signature required? How paranoid can you be?

He did save on the packaging though. Rather than use new packaging he took a portion of a previously used bubble mailer. not the whole bubble mailer but just exactly enough to fit around the semi-rigid holder. Because it is an odd size I'm sure he had to pay extra for shipping as well. He then wrapped the whole Dr. Frankenstein's creation in tape and saran wrap to make sure it didn't get wet I guess. The thing was so small that the labels for DC, INS and Postage cover up 80% of the front. When I got it I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get into the thing before I gave up and just got out the scissors. Fortunately the raw card stayed in it's holder so I didn't cut off a corner.

I feel better now but remain amazed he couldn't ship a single $11.53 card for less than $7.65.
Don't blame the seller necessarily. My brother and I have been burned so many times this last year on Ebay by buyers claiming to have never received their item or received it damaged , that we never ship anything without having someone sign for it. We just started this in March and have not been burned once since.