View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default what were the best finds you've had?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The photo of Moses Fleetwood Walker with the Michigan Varsity Baeball team (1882)in a Mastro auction; the Oshkosh, Wisconson cabinet with Hoy, Selee and McCarthy (1887) on eBay. They were both expensive (cost about the same), but both worth it.

I've never, never gotten something for nothing, or
very cheap....never.

MFW, cropped (catcher's mask on his knee):

Oshkosh cabinet, cropped. Hoy is far left (on floor), Selee is seated in center (bench), and McCarthy to his left.

It isn't really that simple. A guy namerd Montoya alerted me to a "Hoy card" on e-bay. I looked at it, and the same seller was selling a "Oshkosh Baseball History Book" in a different auction, with the players identified in a cleaned-up version of the photo, displayed.. There was Selee, and McCarthy next to him. Before Selee's and Hoy's major league careers! O my. Who was sure to outbid me? I was going to snipe 3.2K (the bidding stood at about $100). Then, two days before the auction ended, husband-of-tammy bid about a K, and I thought I was sunk. I didn't talk about the photo; I tried not to THINK about the photo. Maybe if JC (h-of-tammy) thinks nobody has seen it but him, I'll be O.K. Half an hour before the auction ended, I changed my snipe to 6.5K. I didn't HAVE 6.5K! JC sniped 3K+, and I got it for my originbal snipe of 3.2. Later, he said he hoped to get home earlier and change his snipe to 6. I would have had to steal the rest of the money if he had!