View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 06:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I really think people are overthinking this. If I am selling an investment and I have documented the cost basis for the item and the net I receive from the sale, characterizing it is my choice on my tax return (investment or business). As long as I accurately report my profit, in whatever form, there should be no problem in the end. I get a 1099 from Vanguard and Schwab for my investment income. That doesn't mean I am a stock brokerage, even if I trade every damn day.

Now, I could see the states getting pissed if there was no sales tax remittance from frequent selling 'investors', but eBay collects the sales tax for the sellers, so that isn't an issue either.

I just don't see how a 1099 in and of itself makes you run away from the platform unless you are a tax scofflaw.

And don't think for a minute that this won't eventually get to auction houses. The big internet selling platforms were the first, but a multi-billion-dollar business is certainly going to attract the attention of the revenue agencies.

if you want to cheat the tax man, you have to go with cash and that cash can never, ever formally enter the financial system. And that is when you visit the cross-bar hotel if you get caught. Just pay your taxes. It's easier.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-24-2022 at 06:36 PM.