View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I noticed King Felix only threw 68 pitches in his last start. Just enough to get the decision and secure the ERA title.

Also noticed that, not only was King Felix gifted several runs off his ERA, but they kind of boned Kluber a couple weeks ago on several runs, by reversing an error call on Avile, that for all intents and purposes, looked like a play a Little Leaguer could have made.

That's a bit of a swing in several of the stats that have been mentioned.

Leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Then again I don't think I'd have been entirely happy with Chris Sale winning the ERA title with 60 less innings pitched then Hernandez and Kluber.
I don't see the same nefariousness of intent that you are pointing out. Felix wanted to keep pitching and if the A's had not won, he would have kept pitching - the postseason was the main thing on everyone's mind. Felix got bombed by Toronto last week - it was actually more a chance of hurting his Cy Young chances by even letting him start, but, as I said, the postseason was foremost in everyone's mind. They aren't like us - concentrating on evil intent, politics and statistics. In addition, McLendon frequently pulls his starters after 5 or 6 innings, simply because he has the best reliever staff in the Major Leagues, but in this case it made sense for other reasons: Felix gets to walk off the field to the fan's applause (same thing McLendon did for Cano 1 batter later), and while it does secure the ERA title and a better shot at the Cy Young, as PHENOMENAL as he was pitching, he could very well have gotten a complete game 1-hitter, and a few more strikeouts. That would probably have locked up the Cy Young.

But fortunately Net54 members don't get to vote. Could you imagine what the HOF would look like if we did?

Last edited by Runscott; 09-29-2014 at 06:34 PM.