View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Ted

Greg,
Ted Williams is a special case in the exhibits cards. On other exhibits, I have no knowledge, but on Ted, I have been working on this for several years. Yours is the card I have listed below as #1. I have documented four different "tone" variations of the above (#9 NOT Showing) card:
1) "Printed in USA", Black & White tone
2) "Printed in USA", Light Brown tone
3) "Printed in USA", True Sepia tone
4) "Printed in USA", Green tint tone (have only seen in auction once, and cannot verify the color of the tint personally)

Now, there are multiple other variations of the "Made in USA" versions. I have documented two different fonts of the "Made in USA" version, as well as some different cropping versions (the so called small projection and large projection). I am not convinced that the tone versions of the "Made in USA" are TRUE versions or just aging. Based on that, I feel that the versions of these cards are:
5) "Made in USA", Short/Fat font, Small Projection
6) "Made in USA", Short/Fat font, Large Projection
7) "Made in USA", Tall/thin font, Small Projection
8) "Made in USA", Tall/thin font, Large Projection

For the sake of clarity, I have left OUT the Ted Williams #9 Showing, although I believe there is only one variation of this card (and I believe Ted's earliest Exhibit card).

Now, I am also convinced that there are more versions of Ted out there that I have yet to find, as looking at the playing years he had, and the transition of the exhibits over those years, I feel that there are more variations to find.

If you are even more interested, I have tried to match these fonts with current known fonts and have measurements of the printing to determine differences. I have much more data at home, including documented photos and such, just not at my fingertips at work. Send me an email if interested.

Dave

Edited: I am getting older and forgetting things.
The card above listed as:
4) "Printed in USA", Green tint tone (have only seen in auction once, and cannot verify the color of the tint personally)
is not a "Printed in USA" card but a "Made in USA" Tall/Thin font

Also, upon review of my photos, I have a photo of a "more gray than sepia" version of the "Made in USA" Short/fat font, but again, I am not convinced that a variation of color (vs aging) exists with this font version.

Dave

Last edited by Harford20; 04-09-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Getting Old