View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 03:46 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
Though not something I would even begin to invest a large amount in (cardboard-wise), a very interesting project and maybe something fun to do on a smaller scale.
Reason for my suggesting it goes back to last year, and a thread about prices some M101-2 Sporting News Supplements were suddenly bringing in the Memory Lane auction in August of 2021. Turns out that unbeknownst to pretty much everyone reading the thread, PSA apparently had suddenly started grading these supplements only a year or two before then. Most serious M101-2 collectors really weren't into grading them at all, especially since up till then only Beckett graded the M101-2 supplements. SGC never has, and I didn't see any on CSG's pop reports, so I don't know if CSG also doesn't grade them, or if it is just no one has tried submitting one to them yet. Meanwhile, PSA's pop reports show that as of today they have still only graded 137 M101-2 Sporting News Supplements in total. The M101-2 set has 100 different supplements in it, so PSA hasn't even gotten close to grading every different supplement in the set yet.

It would seem that with the influx of new collectors/money into the hobby these past few years, and the attraction and desire they appear to have for low pop/high grade PSA cards and items, getting in on the ground floor of a set/issue PSA suddenly starts grading items of may not be a bad idea. Though PSA and their Registry are not my personal cup of tea, it certainly seems to be for a very large number of people in the hobby. And the money that follows shows it.

I've wondered in the past what would happen to the prices and values of items in other such sets/issues were PSA to suddenly start grading them. Like the S74 silks, BF2 Ferguson Bakery pennants, and B18 felt blankets, for example. There are Cobbs, Wagners, Joe Jacksons, and other HOFers and star players in such sets/issues that I've often thought they are way undervalued due to a (for lack of a better term) perceived stigma that may follow them because of a perception then of their not being deemed worthy of grading by PSA.

Last edited by BobC; 10-22-2022 at 04:17 PM.