View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default The big three: Mathewson, Johnson, Young

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...I guess it's time for my two cents.

Matty seems to be my favorite for collecting. <LMAO> Y'all knew THAT was coming...

Ya know, though, in glancing through my bible (Lemke's SCD Catalog), it seems that in many card issues where a Matty and a Johnson card appear, their prices are the same across the board. Boston Garter issues, 1913 Tom Barker Game, 1913 National Game, 1919 Coupon T213, T205 Gold's, 1912 Plow's Candy E300, Texas Tommy issues, 1951 Connie Mack's, T5 Pinkerton's, and several others.

With the 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jack issues, Matty carries a much higher premium. The T206 White Borders are all in the same ballpark, but Matty's Portrait carries a much higher value over Johnson's highest value T206 by 30% or so. The 1910 PC796 Sepias carry a higher Mathewson premium. As does the 1915 Postaco Stamp issue, the 1915 PM1 Pin, the '67 Venezuelan Retirado, 1911 Helmar's. The Sporting Life M116 Mattys command almost twice what the Johnson does (the pastel is about 20% more, the blue is almost 2x). Of Course, Christy was the only player to appear on Post Bran Flakes cereal boxes in 1930 with such greats as Daniel Boone and Pocahantas, so that ALONE speaks volumes (LOL).

At a quick glance through the guide, the only Johnson that grabbed a higher premium that Matty (where both are issued) the 1912 S81 Silk. Walter gets 4000 for a (7), Christy's (7) pulls about 2550. There may be others, and day to day on eBay and in other auctions houses...I cannot comment. I don't think I've ever looked up a Johnson auction to compare the two.

I think Christy's popularity goes far beyond his being an incredible pitcher in his time. His stats speak for themselves, but he also came into baseball during a time when the players were viewed as womanizing, drunk rogues and barroom brawlers, etc. Matty came in as a clean cut college grad who didn't play ball on Sundays (although some would say he made appearances on the golf course on Day 7...LOL). He was viewed as a family man with great personal values and honorable conviction. He was literally the first Big Guy in baseball that parents wanted their kids to look up to, which the kids did. Hell, even the parents thought he was something else. He was the Giants' icon or "poster boy" if you will. As baseball increased its pre-war popularity, Matty was the favorite of many in that day. Then, right after he became Manager of the Reds, he volunteered to give that up and enlist himself in the WWI effort.

His death was certainly untimely, and it really saddened the nation. When he died, the teams playing in the World Series that year played the series wearing black arm bands to honor Matty. It was said to have been a very somber series.

I personally would think that Matty is regarded as an incredible WS pithcer. The MLB Record that he STILL holds almsot 100 years later is that he pitched 3 shutouts in the 1905 WS to win the series 4-1 for the Giants. I don't think any player will ever meet or beat that...

He may not be #1 in every statistical respect of pitching, but he is always toward the top in virtually every category. Very consistent for many years. For the Giants Baseball Club, I believe he still holds top records in over half of the dozens of pitching stats which they calculate. But, apart from the bare numbers, I can certainly understand why so many view him as a favorite. He was truly one of the first "loved" players of the game...

Cool thread, Ben.