View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default is a graded card more valuable ?

Posted By: PC

Count me in the "worth more" category, simply because I will not buy a high dollar card unless it is graded by SGC, PSA or GAI.

The last ungraded card of any importance I purchased was a 1948 Bowman Ralph Kiner. Sent it to SGC, came back rejected as trimmed. End of story.

Also, while graded cards are "worth more" to me, personally, it does not always mean that I pay more for graded cards. For example, I have purchased T206 commons graded SGC 20 or 30 for LESS than the asking prices I've seen for the same card, in the same condition, ungraded. Also, it is common to find HOFers graded in low to mid-grade at far less than EX or NM "book value" for that card. As such, I've built quite a nice collection of cards buying off-condition material at a substantial discount to book (and believe me, most sellers would otherwise have advertised that SGC 40 card as NM, and wanted close to the NM book price for it).

However, it is certainly true that cards graded NM and above will go for multiples of the book value. Thus, I think grading (by reliable grading companies) has brought a certain fairness to the hobby, by not leaving the determination of condition to the seller (of course, a buyer can and should make that determination too, but that is not possible to do so accurately over the internet). So, if you can afford NM+ cards, great, pay the premium. But if you can't or don't want to, then be happy to pay a discount to book for lower condition cards (I know I am).

Just my opinion.