View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Uncatalogued 1928 Star Player Candy Card

Posted By: David Smith

Hello all,

As I stated in a related thread, about 10 years ago I bought 16 different Star Player candy cards. Fifteen of those cards is listed in the 2001 Standard Catalog but the 16th card is not.

As some of you have experienced, I am fighting a conflicting battle about this uncatalogued card. The good side of me wants to tell the collecting world so that more people will know about this card other than just me and add to the data about this set.

The bad part of me says to keep the info to myself. Why? I don't know, maybe just plain greed.

So, I think I will compromise and list the 16 players but NOT post a scan of the uncatalogued card. So, here goes;

1) L A Blue
2) Guy T Bush
3) Owen T Carroll
4) Elwood English
5) Ira Flagstead
6) Sam Gray
7) Willie Kamm
8) Bob Meusel
9) Ed C Morgan
10) Buddy Myer (uncatalogued. I am going to have to check the next time I am at the safety deposit box but I think his last name is spelled Meyer on the card, but I am not sure).

11) William Regan
12) Wally Schang
13) Joe Sewell
14) Tris Speaker
15) Al Thomas
16) Harold J Traynor

That's the list. As I said in the other thread, the person I bought these from said these were his father's and they came from Michigan. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

In the 2001 SCD, there are 72 cards in the (known) set with the caveat that there may be more. Seventy two is a nice number and works well if the cards were made in sheets of six, 12 or 24. If this is the 73rd card, then how many more are in the set??

The 2001 Big Book also says football players are known. If the Meyer card is the 73rd card, could the baseball and football cards have been printed on the same sheets?

These questions are all based on the assumption that the cards were printed on sheets. If the Star Player Candy cards were printed individually, then the above questions don't really matter.

Any thoughts or comments??