View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Default home runs, statistics and steroids

Posted By: Anson

Banned substances do not reflect the changes or trends of a game through time. I am, by no means, a purist. But, I do feel that, unless you allow all MLB ballplayers to use particular enhancements, then it IS cheating. These guys took this stuff under the radar of Major League Baseball. IF you want to give them a pat on the back and pretend that, all of a sudden, 35-45 year olds should be breaking every power record to date, go ahead.

As I stated earlier, Bonds would have made the Hall and been considered a great no matter what. He chose to use the steroids and degrade his career in the minds of many. Many of the current 500-HR club members took full, avg 30-hr per season, careers to achieve their status. They didn't pile up 200-250HR over a 4-year period, late in their careers (where most players of the past were in their twilight).

I would love to ignore the impact of steroids and move on like everyone else. It's a dark cloud over an otherwise great game. But, I don't put it on the same level as spitballs, nail files, and pine tar.