View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Default Rarest/Scarcest T-Cards ??

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

With the T3 cards, I think you'll find the cards of Bob Rhoades #114 the most difficult to find. But there are some out there. Little slips of paper, coupons, were collected, and then could be sent in and a specific player could be requested. So there are lots of Cobbs and Mathewsons, lots of Cubs and Giants. Modern day prices don't exactly reflect scarcity, but are more an indication of demand for a particular card nearly 100 years later. My point is that if you have piles of money to throw at T3s, you'd be able to locate and buy a Cobb or Mathewson before you could find a Rhoades for sale. Addie Joss is slightly more difficult that others. I don't think it is because the cards weren't offered after he died (his death contemporary with the card's distribution), but rather I believe that some cards were pitched after a player retired from play, like my friends and I did when we were little kids. So I figure some folks discarded their Joss cards after he died. I think this same situation applies to Powers in T206.

I'm still mad about missing out on a T3 Rhoades. I had him listed on my short want list with Kit Young. He'd been on it for a few years. When I updated the list I'd keep him on there. One day I get Kit's catalog and they're listing a T3 Rhoades, I immediately call, same day I'd received the catalog. They tell me the card had sold the day before.... I'd have paid twice their catalog price, and what good is the want list if they don't contact me??? Maybe they never intended on contacting folks when wanted cards were acquired... maybe they used want lists to ascertain general collecting trends so they'd know what to acquire and which items need a boost in pricing. Or maybe they just overlooked my want list that day. So I still don't have Rhoades.