View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default A little game for new collectors: Find the auction warning signs!

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Let me clarify that I'm not necessarily saying that this seller is a scammer, but he or she does seem a little misinformed about what it is they're selling, which in some instances can be just as bad, especially if a lot of money's involved. My issues with this auction are:

1. Private auction

2. All sales final

3. 1000.00?

4. Seller is not wholly informed about what they are selling (wrong date, price)and that's a problem that can be bad for either a seller, a bidder or both.

5. No back scan, 1000.00 dollars and a Ruth card which is bound to attract bidders and no back scan?

These are not really shady issues, I apologize if it seemed that I was implying that, it's just that when your dealing with a card priced at 1000 dollars these things can make a bidder a little uneasy. Not all scammers have bad feedback or do private auctions either. Some of Dr. Bond's "almost real" auctions are not always private and eagle8016's feedback wasn't really too bad until her scam really started rolling. You can't be too careful these days on ebay and some of these small issues can be a make or break an auction for me when dealing with vintage cards, especially pricey stuff. I don't want to take too many chances and get burned if I can prevent it. But that's just me, everyone's got there own set of rules for what works best for them I guess. Thanks for the responses.

--Adam