View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Why no Cobb printed with brown HINDU backs ?

Interesting discussion going on here. However, I have a different take on this subject.

Looking at the bigger picture regarding the brown HINDU press run(s). American Lithographic Co. (ALC) printed 136 different subjects with the HINDU back.
Thirty four Southern Leaguers and 102 Major Leaguers.
Exactly how and when ALC printed them, we will probably never know. However, we do have insight into 34 of the HINDU cards, which were simultaneously
printed with the SWEET CAPORAL 150 Factory #649 Overprint press run. Based on several transactions of the players in this group of 34, we can determine
approx. the date when this group of cards were printed with the HINDU back.

There are 155 different subjects comprising the 150 Series of the T206 set. Twelve subjects in the 150-only series, and 143 subjects in the 150/350 series.
We know that ALC printed PIEDMONT 150 backs first in the 150 Series. Then followed with SWEET CAPORAL backs. HINDU backs were printed on 102 Major
Leaguers.
Here are 4 examples in the group of 34 (which I noted above there are more) that indicate approx. how early some of the HINDU press runs were......

Tom Jones..........traded to Detroit in Aug 1909
Jim Pastorius......released by Brooklyn in Aug 1909
Tubby Spencer....retired July 1909
Doc Powers........passed away April 1909

Therefore, my point is that most likely the Green Cobb and the Bat On Cobb were in later press runs of the 150 Series, so were simply left out of the limited
HINDU press runs.

TED Z

T206 Reference