Thread: Hofstra show
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Well said. If I was so unhappy after attending a baseball card show I would find a new hobby.

I went to Hofstra and had a great time. I had dinner with a group of friends and bought quite abit of stuff at the show. 1926 Ruth exhibit, 1933 goudey Ruth, t206 red Cobb, t206 Dahlen brown Hindu, Jim Brown rookie, circa 1910 cubs real photo postcard, domino disc complete set, 48 leaf satchel Paige, 48 leaf Jackie Robinson, Ruth, Musial, DiMaggio, and made a contact to buy some Ruth and Gehrig cards at the Boston show.

Also met a group of people from Australia at the hotel bar. Had lots of laughs over a few drinks.

None of these cards are for sale.
Wow, talk about reading too much into my message. I said the show was weak. So I should quit the hobby now. OK. Sure. I think perhaps you are a little too close to the show and don't appreciate my opinion.

I saw precious few rare vintage cards for sale. Maybe you bought every one. Similar to what Leon said about Texas, I saw tens of thousands of refractor cards. Which I walked by like pretty much everyone else.
I find cards on ebay at 2 am in my pajamas that I would have to attend shows for the next 125 years to run into. That's the reality of the hobby right now. It's not good or bad in my mind, but it is what it is. I have no issue with on line purchases. The rare times I find a special card at a show its always ridiculously insanely overpriced. Book value $1900 asking $4500, that kind of silliness. But it is nice to talk to a few cool dealers. A guy at Hofstra, Asian guy around 40, was really knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk with. Sorry I didn't get his name/card. And always nice to see in person some of the nicer cards coming up in some of the upcoming big auction houses.
Not a complete waste of time. The size of that show was grossly inflated. That was my main point.

What hotel bar were you at? The Marriot nrer the Coliseum? And what does drinks with people from Australia at a hotel unaffiliated with the show have to do with the quality of a card show? And how was breakfast?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-26-2017 at 11:07 AM.