View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've had some great raw purchases even from eBay sellers. I've also gotten my share with hairline creases or other damage not visible on the scan and not described. It is a crapshoot but often worthwhile if you assume that the card isn't really the grade listed and buy accordingly. Which is exactly how I used to shop in the pre-Internet days. Just assume from 1-2 grades lower than advertised. I also remember what a relief it was that the items were actually as advertised.

What I cannot understand are the people who buy by mail and pay higher prices for raw cards than for slabbed ones. At least with mainstream sets, the TPG holder makes it far more likely that you will get what you paid for. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a raw card that came in and was better than described.

Also echo Rhett's view on certain sets. If you want to collect Zeenuts, Exhibits, Kahn's, the various Bond Bread and related issues, and many other regionals and postcards you are going to have to buy raw cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...