View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default ESPN & THE MITCHELL STEROIDS REPORT

Posted By: Joann

I have a dumb-a$$ question. I haven't read the report yet so maybe that's why I don't understand this.

There are several places in the report where it says that one of the clubhouse attendants produced a check written by Player A for steroids, and this is part of the evidence that got Player A mentioned as a user.

How does this happen? How does the guy that the check was written to produce the check? If he cashed it, it would be in the possession of either the payor bank or the player. How would the clubhouse guy get it back?

More likely, if he produced it for Mitchell it was because he never cashed it and still had it as written. Why wouldn't he cash it? Are steroids so cheap he can front the money and forget about the check? Were there so many checks he lost track of some and forgot to cash them?

Did he intentionally hang on to them thinking he may need them as evidence someday? Or maybe that they would be more valuable in the future to sell on ebay (either as an autograph or even as a purported "check used to purchase steroids")?

And I know these players make a ton ton ton of money, but at some point wouldn't someone (the player or accountant or whatever) realize that the checks for steroids hadn't cleared yet and were still floating around out there somewhere?

For some reason, this business of clubhouse attendants being able to produce checks for the Commission is really nagging at me as being a bit odd.

Joann

Edited for punctuation. Trying to keep this a high-end board and all.