View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 04:54 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I've seen where people break them out of their holders. These days it seems that many collectors trust graded over non-graded cards and that's why I thought about trading my slabs for their raw equivalent, it might be a win/win of sorts. I guess the only complications would be that I would want to see the card I'm trading for in person and I wouldn't want to swap with a dealer who would want to trade to their advantage.

I saw your posting about taking some of your doubles to trade to a young collector who coldly turned them away. When I was 12 back in 1973 I put an ad in a local paper looking to trade cards. An adult by the name of Tom Tankersley responded and he brought over some 1957s. He allowed me to get the better end of the deal, for him it was important to get younger people involved in the hobby. That day some of the cards I remember getting were the Amoros, Kluszweski, Erskine, Robin Roberts, and Burdette. The Burdette had a crease and the others were probably in VG/EX condition, but it didn't matter- I got some really cool older cards. When it becomes a commodity the fun and wonderment disappear.
That's a great story. And we remember their names. I have a similar story. I had put an ad in the local Pennysaver, and a Mr Siebert called, and one, weeknight, this would be the early 70's, on a school night after dinner, we drove over to Snowball Dr. and met with him. I would have been probably 14 or so.

Mr. Siebert had a very large collection of 1930's and 1940's cards, and he told us he had another buyer who was very interested in them, but he told me he would set some aside for me. I had a good knowledge of the history of the game and the older players, and I remember him saying, "I have an idea what you like."

So a week or so went by and he called again and told us to come over. And I remember him saying he made quite a bit of money on the cards he sold, but he set aside for me some 1939 and 1940 Play Ball cards of DiMaggio, Hubbell, Williams, Mel Ott, Lefty Gomez, George Selkirk and several more. There was also a 1934 Goudey Jimmy Foxx. He let me have them for, as I remember it, $20. I still have those cards, and I will never forget that man.