View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default sweet caporal pins

Posted By: martindl

Kathy,
Depending on how much work you want to put into it, here's what i would suggest.

* Don't list them all in one big group
* Minimally, use this site http://www.baseball-reference.com/ and go through each of your pins and determine who is in the Hall Of Fame - these pins will generally be the more 'valuable' ones - list them individually
* If you want to put more effort into it, go to a good local bookstore - Barnes & Noble, etc. and browse through either the 2006 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards or the Beckett Catlog of Baseball cards and look up the pins. You will see that there are variations - big letter/small letters, etc. that impact 'value' - it will also give you a sense of value for all of your pins. Don't get enamored with the NM price column, even if you have pins that fit this description - again, list the most valuable pins individually
* For the rest of them, you might want to break them into lots by team, or just into groupings of 5 or so, based on condition. Don't mix poor and good condition pins together
* Regardless of supposed value, don't put a high opening price nor a reserve. There are many collectors of these items and you pins will fetch decent prices, if you have decent pins. Make you auction a 7 day auction and start it on a Sunday evening. Don't get concerned if there's little inital bidding activity, as folks like to wait until the very end to bid. Don't accept offers to end you auction early for a buy-it-now price. Sometimes you'll get burned by taking this advice, but rarely.

My 10c. I'm sure others have simialr advice. Good luck with your pins. You can email me if i can help further at mdalziel01@aol.com or just post here on the board.