View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default M101 Sporting news help

Posted By: TOM

If you go back to SCD dated April 9, 1993 on page 72. I am going to quote unquote the following words. Bennie Kauff's card in the 1915 Sporting News set was either in error in listing him as a Giant, or was produced in that short period when the player had jumped the Federal League to play with McGraw's club. The same photo and teams designation were used for the 1916 set, but the card was number 94 in that issues. Beside the Sporting News backs, this 200-card set can be found with ads for bakeries, clothing stores and business. You have got to remember that the card stock and the way they printed the cards was completely different during that era. The type of printing plates, the ink and the most important thing is the man power to make these cards. That was a completly different time here in American during those days. So for us to say if the M101-5 series was printed in 1916 versa 1915 I totally disagree. THE SPORTING NEWS started printing in 1915 like I said earlier, but when the players jumped to the Federal League they reset the printing press and started makes cards again, but done some minor changes to distinguish the difference in the two set and the year they were made. I strongly believe the M101-5 series was started in 1915 but ended up in 1916 with two different version as we call today the M101-4 and the M101-5 series with some players haveing the same pose and still others having a different pose. The Sporting News started the M101-5 set in 1915, but when some of the players jumped to the Federal League just like Bennie Kauff did to play with McGraw's club that is when THE SPORTING NEWS decided in a most dramatic fasion to start running the printing press again. One other thing that most dealer, grader and collectors think that the wide gap version of the M101-5 series is not real, but a counterfeit, but that is not intirely true due to the fact of the dramatic change that took place between 1915 and 1916 between the leagues as time went by The Sporting News came out with some new poses of the players. That is why you will find different varations today between the M101-5 series. The 1915 M101-5 Series may have been the intention of The Sporting News, but what happed they ended up making two sets with varations in those sets as we have today, but we called them error cards. Just like today a company start out doing one thing, but a sudden change will make the company go a totally different direction than they planned. As everone knows money is the driving force.