Thread: Happy Holidays!
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default Happy Holidays!

Posted By: Steve F

Spent a few hours at the VA Hospital in Boston on Sunday. My oldest brother Danny (DAV/Green Beret) had just undergone CA surgery and may be heading home tomorrow. I'd like to relay my experience.

Many of these battered patients have a phenomenal, inspiring spirit but can be quite crude and very funny to watch. Like adolescents and their edgy poop jokes, these guys constantly test just how far they can yank each provider's chain. There's four beds to a room so naturally they team up and feed off each other -Not unlike Statler and Waldorf of Muppet Show fame.

The sarcasm was palpable as they would complain about the food, the snoring, the few TV stations, old magazines etc. But rarely did they mention their many serious ailments and these guys were chronic multi-system, human trainwrecks... I've gotta say, the tolerant and overworked, but very cagey Nurse Corps really open up their hearts for these old codgers, whenever they enter that "Lion's Den". It was wonderful to see the frequently hysterical interaction, ie; 'I thought I left my wife at home' and 'Your husband must have a bottle of Jack Daniels in every room back at the house'. Undaunted, these angels in Hell certainly aced the "Feats of Strength" test. Without missing a beat, they took and gave back all the non-pc BS standing up, with a warm smile to boot! They are truly special and there's no question that laughter is the best medicine, as there was rarely a dry eye on that ward.

So, to those fallen, struggling and those still serving over there and especially those that ease their pains. A heartfelt THANKYOU to these great American men and women for my Happy Holiday. And please pardon my lengthy post.

[linked image]