View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Link to Beckett article on the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson 13-card set and a couple images from the August 1947 Baltimore Afro American news advertising the promo card
Thanks for the link. The first Bond Bread advertisement featuring Jackie Robinson was in the June 24, 1947 issue. This same ad would be featured again on June 28, and also in July. The first advertisement in the Baltimore newspaper inviting readers to stop by their local grocer for the card was August 16, 1947.

The final Jackie Robinson Bond Bread advertisement was in the October 15, 1949 paper.

These ads were also ran in other newspapers targeting the black / African-American demographic.

I believe I mentioned this in the other thread, but the portrait-facsimile card white borders (D302) card was first distributed in June via promo packages with the card, a coupon and 2 slices of bread. Come August, it was made available in grocers. The remaining 12 cards were distributed in this same manner (grocers distributing the cards). Here is an example of one that came from the Cardozo Market, which was located in DC at the time. The current address is no longer a business, but the store front and building were converted into a residential building / home. There was also a Cardozo in Baltimore, but this address is from the location in DC.

On another note... the Old Gold card that is listed as a 1948 release was actually released in September. Here's the first ad featuring that card:

This ad lines up with a September release date, which is when I believe the original owner of this card acquired his (based on the writing in pencil on the card):

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards