View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Agreed. I've been hoping to put together an article compiling all of my research - it's been a goal of mine for the last 2 years. Time has not been on my side, though. The closest thing for now is in a recent Goldin Auction catalog, which used my research in the write-up for a friend's set.
The most compelling part for me from the previous archived thread on the subject was:

1) The advertisement which actually pictured the White Bordered Portrait w/ facsimile autograph card and invited consumers to come into their local grocer to pick up a card. This was used to pinpoint the release date of that particular card to the summer of 1947. Another interesting thing about this particular card is that it has a unique back compared to the other 12 and is the only card that includes biographical information about Jackie Robinson, rather than just advertising Bond Bread

2) The research which cross-references the original wire photos to the images on the cards and was utilized to verify that particular cards could not have been produced prior to the date on the photos.

3) The different backs and how it was hypothesized the cards were distributed in waves over a 2-3 year period.

The research was very compelling and was even more so with the photographic evidence provided. I'm basing all of this off memory and am pretty much plagiarizing the work that Shaun did along with Ted Z, but I know after reading through that thread I felt extremely confident that the White Bordered Jackie Portrait w/ facsimile autograph was almost definitely the first released on the 13 white bordered cards produced, was likely distributed in a different manner (retailer vs. packages of bread), and was likely a promotional card of sorts produced to gauge consumer response