View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 AM
Sean McGinty

In fairness, its hard to expect every dealer to be an expert on every single card they have no matter how rare or outside the realm of general knowledge in the hobby it is. If it was a dealer specializing in that sort of stuff it would be different, but if it was a guy who deals with more common stuff and just happened to get a Puerto Rican card that he didn't know much about, its hard to fault him for taking a "lets just slap this high price on it and see if anyone takes it" approach. Obviously you wouldn't buy from that guy, but doing the research necessary to price stuff they don't know much about accurately probably isn't something a lot of them view as worth their while if they aren't going to regularly deal in it.

I live in Japan and collect Japanese cards and when I peruse Ebay listings of vintage Japanese stuff its pretty obvious that a lot of the US sellers selling them aren't experts and just stumbled across some, based on the prices they are asking which have that "I don't know if this is worth anything but maybe it is so I will price it ridiculously high" mindset.