View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Default Does The Auctioneer Impact The Price?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I like seeing "whilst" in a post

I think given the internet and the resulting really good spread of information amongst ( ) sophisticated (wealthy) buyers as a result, a significant card placed with any of the main auction houses will do equally well, provided the presentation is equivalent. When it comes to sets and lots, however, the auctioneer has a lot to do with the results but not in the sense of reputation; it is presentation. I have purchased many mixed lots that turned out to be a lot better than their descriptions, whether because the auctioneer did not highlight the best cards appropriately, did not understand the group offered, or did not provide a complete description. I've also had lots undersell due to the same issues. There are certain auctioneers whose descriptions are so poor and/or whose imaging is so primitive that they often undersell the competition. The fact that they may charge only 10 and 10 doesn't help as much as a more professional presentation would. In other words, an auctioneer can't really drive the performance of a lot but they can do a lot to screw it up.

Edited to add: I assume we are talking about auctioneers who put out catalogs and have fully interactive internet sites. If you are talking 'net only or non-net, you are dealing with an auctioneer that is not equivalent to the top dogs and should not be considered with them since the service offered is not equivalent.