View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 02:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypcl View Post
Hi All,
So I was luckily able to pick up this one albeit with a missing 1/2 inch of the spine. It was hanging for decades in a den and the pennant itself is in fantastic shape with great color. You can see what color of the spine should be where the thumbtack was removed. I didn't really want to mess with it but would you guys try the bleach solution on this spine? Or a little light soap and water?
Thanks!
-Andy
Amazing pickup Andy! Such an attractive and rare example...

Regarding the spine, I bet the spine would bleach very well, but given the value of the pennant, be sure to tape it off very carefully. You definitely don't want even a single drop of beach to touch that red felt. And I am not sure if bleach bleeding through to the reverse side is a further concern. Perhaps Rob has experience with this, and can chime in.

Another option is a spine "transplant". I have never done this, but know of a forum member here who has done it on occasion (with great results). It would involve using a "donor pennant" with a similar (if not identical) white spine. And a seamstress who can replicate the original stitching.

While I don't advocate for this, it would kill two birds with one stone... the soiled color and missing top portion. The lighter colored tack hole wouldn't bother me on its own at all... the missing top portion of the spine might. A transplant would definitely make the pennant look/display better, but you'd always know the pennant is not all-original.

For that reason, I am with Greg... leave it as-is.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-04-2021 at 02:38 PM.