View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Todd Schultz

Default well

Quote:
Just think of some of the other comparable small group strip sets of this period; there are no obscure players included (please point out any exceptions to this)
hmm, who is Joe Murphy? He is listed as one of the players in the 20 card W519 set from 1920, and I cannot place the name.

Goldie Rapp is listed in two separate small (20 cards) strip sets in 1920--the W520 and the W522. Goldie Rapp did not play a big league game until 1921, when he split 2/3 of an unremarkable season between the Giants and Phils. Why did he merit inclusion in these sets?

The circa 1910 strip set from which Matt pulled a WJ card also includes in its 20 player size Willis Cole, who had played all of 46 games by then, and Oscar Stanage, who had played 78 games as a part-time catcher for Detroit.

Again, I don't disagree with the premise, but exceptions have been shown to exist.

Quote:
The team designations on the uniforms, when seen, do not necessarily represent a specific team, as noted previously for Cadore and Bodie
I disagree. Juxtapose Bodie and Cadore as I suggested and they appear with their correct teams, and the remainder of the players showing an insignia appear to match up with their correct teams. I do not see a "Y" on Konetchy's uniform, perhaps you can enlarge that for us.