View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default what do you look for in an Old Judge card?

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I have only recently gotten into the Old Judge issues and I have heard several schools of thought on what makes for a top-flight card. Personally, I rank attributes as follows:

1. Photo clarity
2. Layering/curling/cracking
3. Lack of front creases
4. Corner rounding/front wear
5. Back condition

Should there be a different form of grading for OJ and other real photo cards as opposed to "regular" cards from the era?

Should they be treated as postcards often are, where postal use of the item is underplayed by collectors as long as it does not affect the image or writing?

Realistically, what should a card be graded for damage to the back (glue residue, light peeling, tape, writing, etc.)? How does card back condition affect your purchase decision?

I recently purchased an OJ with great front clarity and a single crease but with the back top layer of paper mostly peeled from album removal. Since the card was in an album until the dealer pulled it out, the card is nearly white and very clear. I also bought a card with no creases, intact back, but a creamy front and medium quality image. SGC would probably grade the first one fair to good. It graded the second one vg. I agree with the grading from a technical perspective, but personally, I like the first card better.