View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Default Federal League Uniform

Posted By: Joe K.

I was watching the auction too and was a bit surprised at how high it went. It has a lot of appeal, so $700+ isn’t outrageous, but more than I would have expected.

Here is a link to a picture of the 1914 Pitt Federal League team.

http://www.toyou.com/fl/teams/pittsburgh14.html

This uniform does not match at all. Aside from the “Federals” written vertically down the buttons, there are several other reasons.

- No Diamond “P” patch on the sleeve.
- The 1914 jerseys buttoned all the way down, while the one on ebay is a 3 or 4 button pullover.
- The 1914 jerseys did not have a cadet collar
- The 1914 jerseys had a dark band around the ends of sleeves, while the one on ebay doesn’t.
- The letter “P” patch on the front of the 1914 jersey doesn’t match the one on ebay. They are pretty different.

I don’t see any reason to think this is a Federal League uni. My guess is that Bushing just liked it, which I understand, it is appealing. I remember a couple years ago seeing Bushing win what I thought was a common $50 jersey on ebay for some outrageous price. I don’t recall the price, but it was high. Soon after I saw him at one of the Ft. Wash shows and asked him why he paid so much for a common jersey and what I was missing. He said I wasn’t missing anything. It was a common jersey, but he just liked it a lot and he has the means to pay a lot for what he wants sometimes.