View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default different photo and border, same series.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
maybe Lew will chime in and clarify this more. Brian says he thinks these are strip cards because of the size variance and Leon says the fact they're all basically the same size makes them from the same set. Which is it--size variance or same size? Frankly, I've seen much wider size variance, both in degree and frequency, in the m101-4 and m101-5 cards than what I've been shown here, and those are clearly not strip cards.

As for the borders, are you saying that the similarity in the black frame surrounding the photo makes you think they belong together? Do you really notice any difference in the black frames surrounding m101-4s and those on E135 Collins McCarthy the following year? A basic black line of essentially the same thickness?

In my experience, there are very very few card issues that have the same card size but different sizes for the images within the borders of the card. That is clearly the case here, and that is why I believe they are not from the same set.
Todd- your statement in the first paragraph about variance and size do not have to be mutually exclusive imo. I never said whether I thought they are strip cards or not. I don't know. I said some of them look to be handcut, and they do. I said I would go with Lew's thought on that part of it and he stated he doesn't think they are strip cards. Lew and I have a pretty good rapport and I did ask him, on the phone, if he had any other info at all. He said he described all that he knew (I believe). Regardless, there was no other information to be gleaned. I did try. Also, Lew reads the board, as we have emailed this morning about something board related, so has seen this and is probably amused at us. If he knew something completely different/more he would probably email and say so. He's always been a pretty good sport about helping me and it's always appreciated.

Your other statement about size of photo's within certain sets makes some sense but there are definitely some that are as you described...different photo size within a set.....here is one that comes to mind as an example, N48. best regards (I don't own these but used to)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pn48x3.jpg (46.3 KB, 690 views)