View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Zach

As an adult I had three hobbies this being my third. In 2008 I started collecting M.A.S.K action figures. These were toys I was crazy over in the 80s. Some of you in your 30s probably remember these. Anyway I collected for a few months then got them all and spent $600 total. It was fun for a second but when I was done I felt like I made a mistake. I sold them off on ebay as an entire collection in auction and it sold for $150 (this was the very first thing I ever sold on ebay, lesson learned about selling everything at once).

I moved on to an interesting hobby collecting U.S. Navy rating badges (rank patches worn by sailers). I had ones from WWII, WWI and 19th century. Some of them were a lot of money. The patches were fascinating and fun to collect but too rare and frustrating. You would have a risk of never seeing an item again and had to have money ready at all times.

During down time collecting the rate badges I browsed my old hobby from when I was a kid, and that was cards. I fell back in love with collecting cards and this time I was collecting what I always wanted to collect as a kid, vintage cards. I sold all my patches and made a few grand on ebay then I bought a 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews, 1939 Playball Ted Williams, 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #53, and a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle with the money I made. I have no regrets.

Last edited by zljones; 05-02-2012 at 01:51 PM.