View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default OT-Sandy ? Cuban, Mexican, or Italian ?

Posted By: davidcycleback

The problem with the Nava tracing is that the story is Vincent's mom was Mexican, and one would guess that Nava is his dad's given last name. If his dad's name is Nava, it would appear his dad himself would be of Spanish and/or Latin American heritage. With a paternal Spanish name, this could explain the current confusion, as perhaps (perhaps) Vincent's mom was Mexican and his dad had some Cuban history. If so, an old article might correctly (if incompletely) say that Vincent had Cuban background and a different article might correctly (if incompletely) say Vincent was Mexican American.

Of side note, my mom's scarce maiden name is convenient in that everyone with the name not only came from the same country but are blood related. If I meet or read about a stranger with the name, I know we're blood related ... On the other hand, my dad's paternal ancestors didn't have last family names and invented a family name when they immegrated to the United States, meaning the name is entirely American.